Father William Stanton was born in Liverpool on 21 February 1836. His parents were John and Mary Stanton (nee Harding) and he was educated at Ushaw between 1849-1861.
He was ordained by Bishop Brown at Hyde on 4 August 1861, becoming curate at Hyde (1861-1863) and Stockport (Saints Philip and James, 1863-1865). He was then appointed as rector at several parishes: Holyhead (1865-1868); Northwich (1868-1878); Liscard (1878-1887). Whilst at Liscard, Fr. Stanton sent to the bishop a history of the parish in which he claimed that the mission had been started by the Reverend John Guest – a mistake repeated in several histories, but research has shown this to be incorrect.
In 1879 Fr. Stanton rented a room in Egerton Street, New Brighton and shortly afterwards this mission was provided with a resident priest – Randolph Frith.
Fr. Stanton became rector at New Brighton between 1887-1906 and whilst there he set up a new mission of the English Martyrs in Wallasey in 1902, becoming rector at English Martyrs in 1906 to 1908. He retired to 89 Rowson Street, New Brighton and died on 10 October 1909. He is buried in Rake Lane Cemetary, Wallasey.