Father Thomas John Marsden was born in Stockport on 29 November 1838 to Thomas and Mary Marsden (nee Mottram). He was educated at Sedgley Park, Douai, All Hallows and English College, Bruges. On 25 September 1864 he was ordained by Bishop Brown at St Beuno’s North Wales, and appointed curate at St Werburgh’s, Birkenhead between 1864-1868.
He became rector at the following parishes: Crewe, 1868-80; St Laurence’s, Birkenhead, 1880-1885; Seacombe, 1885-87; Liscard, 1887-98 and St Werburgh’s, Birkenhead, 1898-1910.
Father Marsden became a Cannon of the Church in 1879 and Vicar General in 1895 and was made a Prelate of Honour in 1902. He died on 27 December 1910 and is buried in Flaybrick Hill Cemetary, Birkenhead.
All Hallows has “John T. Marsden” but in St Werburgh’s church register the signature is “Thomas J. Marsden”. He was related to Henry Mottram and Randolph Hughes, both priests of the diocese.
Information: All Hallows Matricula 686; Shrewsbury Diocesan Archives.