Son of Joseph &Marie Adamson (Fishwick) and born in Waterloo, Liverpool on 27th October 1897. Educated at Bishop’s Court and Ushaw 1909-15 (as lay student). Officer 2nd S. Lancs regiment in 1st World War. Educated at Fribourg, Switzerland and Ushaw. It would seem that he went to Fribourg, first – perhaps his health was affected – hence leaving and going to Ushaw. He was ordained on 9th August 1925.
Curate St Alban’s, Liscard 1925-33; PP Holy Name, Birkenhead 1933-35 while also Bishop’s Secretary. When Bishop Moriarty moved into the Council House, Shrewbury in January 1935, Philip Adamson went as Secretary and Treasurer for a short time. PP SS Catherine & Martina, Hoylake 1935-39; Army Chaplain 1939-45; PP SS Catherine & Martina, Hoylake 1945-50. He resinged the parish in 1950 and remained in the presbytery, with Fr Pownall (qv) who succeeded him. He made a vow that if his eyesight improved he would become a monk. In 1955 he left to enter Prinknash Abbey and took the name of James. In 1988 he moved to Nazareth House, Charlton Kings, Cheltenham because of declining health and died on 25th February 1992. He is buried at Prinknash.
SDA; SYB 1993 p103; Information supplied by Mrs Mary Rigby (niece) and Canon EM Abbott; Ushaw Diary.