Son of Joseph & Mary Jane Irish (Gartland) born Latchford on 19th January 1906. Educated at SFX & Ushaw 1921-32 and was ordained by Bishop Moriarty at Our Lady’s, Latchford on 24th July 1932.
Curate: St Werburgh’s, Chester 1932-34; Our Lady’s Stockport 1934-35; St Alban’s, Liscard 1935-40; St Werburgh’s, Chester 1940-41. Chaplain to the Forces: 1941-46. During the liberation of Europe he served as chaplain to the Duke of Lancaster’s Own Yeomanry. This service was rewarded with decorations for gallantry when he received the Belgian Croix de Guerre with Palm & Belgium Chevalier of Honour of Leopold II with Palm.
First PP at St Pius X, Alderley Edge 1946-48; St Mary’s, Congleton 1948-52; St Paul’s, Hyde 1952-63. He died after evening Mass on 6th September 1963 and is buried in Warrington. His father was a manufacturing engineer and his grandfather a wood turner. His maternal grandfather was a bank porter.
SDA; SYB 1964 pp220, 221; Ushaw Diary.