Son of Eric & Agnes Gordon. Born on 24th August 1949 in Middlewich. John attended Cotton College, North Staffordshire from the age of 12 to 18 and then to Oscott College in Birmingham to train for the priesthood.
He was ordained on 7th July 1973 at St Augustine’s, Latchford where his uncle, Frank Gordon was Parish Priest. His first parish was St Alban’s, Liscard where he was a curate from September 1973 to August 1975. From September 1975-August 1981 he was curate at St Anthony’s, Wythenshawe; then to St Joseph’s, Seacombe until January 1986 when he was appointed as Parish Priest to St Peter’s, Noctorum. He was appointed Judicial Vicar of the Diocesan Tribunal on 6th May 1982 and he moved with the Tribunal in 1996 to Our Lady’s, Birkenhead where he was also Parish Priest. In September 2006 he was appointed to the chapter of Canons and moved to St Chad’s, Cheadle as Parish Priest.