John Flood 1974-1980

Son of Bernard and Mary Flood. The following is the obituary written by Fr Oliver O’Doherty, following Fr John Flood’s death in 2009.

“John was born on 12th June 1943 to Bernard and Mary Flood in Clonmellon, Nr Kells, County Meath, Ireland. He was one of nine brothers and six sisters. John was educated at Clonmellon Primary School and St Joseph’s, Freshford County, County Kilkenny from 1957 to 1962. In September 1962 he joined the Mill Hill Fathers (Noviate) in Dublin, attending the University College. He entered St Patrick’s College, Thurles in September 1963 and was ordained Priest on 7th June 1969 in the Cathedral of the Assumption, Thurles by Archbishop Thomas Morris. His first appointment was to St John Fisher and St Thomas Moore, Benchill, Wythenshawe, where he was introduced to the Pastoral Ministry by Fr Joseph Taggart and his assistant Fr Brendan Hoban. He also served at St Alban’s, Liscard. John’s first appointment as Parish Priest was to The Sacred Heart, Cheadle Heath in 1980 followed by further appointments at Our Lady of Lourdes, Partington; Our Lady Help of Christians, Oswestry and St Elizabeth’s, Peel Hall.

Like many young men in the 1960’s John heard the call of Christ, discerning his vocation in his family home and community. His training in the Seminary prepared him for the ministry in a Post Vatican II Church, a ministry that John found exciting and challenging. John discovered the basis of his priestly ministry in the Letter to the Hebrews. A letter that clearly reminds us of the mission and vocation of the Priest: ‘Every High Priest has been taken out of mankind and is appointed to act for men in their relations with God, so that he can sympathise with those who are uncertain or confused because he himself lives in the limitations of weakness’. The aspect of Priesthood to be compassionate, to sympathise, to respond to people’s needs was at the heart of John’s priesthood, because he was a human being who himself lived in the shadow of his own weakness and frailty. He was at all times aware of his dependence on the power of God and the mercy of Christ.

For the last ten years John had been plagued by ill-health and a progressive, debilitating illness called ‘Frontal Lobe Atrophy’. Supported by his family, John returned to his Father’s House on Wednesday, 22nd April 2009 in Hamstead Hospital, Ballymum, Dublin. His Requiem Mass took place in his home parish of Clonmellon on Saturday, 25th April, celebrated by Fr Sean Garland, Parish Priest, who had supported the family throughout John’s illness, and local clergy, Monsignor Chris Lightbound represented Bishop Brian, the Clergy and the people of the Diocese who concelebrated the Requiem Mass.

May he rest in peace. Ardheis de go raibh h anam”.

Top Back to list.

%d bloggers like this: