Son of Louis Francis & Catherine Gertrude Gaskell (Higginbottom). Born in Bredbury, near Stockport on 26th September 1926. Educated at Ushaw 1939-52 and Ordained by Bishop Murphy at Our Lady’s, Stockport on 27th July 1952.
On staff at Ushaw 1952-55. Curate: St Alban’s, Liscard 1955-63; St Teresa’s, Wilmslow 1963-66. Parish Priest: Sacred Heart, Whaley Bridge 1966-67; 1st PP at Holy Spirit, Marple where he first of all lived at 50 The Turnpike. The presbytery and dual purpose church and hall were opened in 1972.
He was a very solid character and the excellent obituary in SYB gives a good idea of his life and work. His houskeeper found him dead when she came looking for him as he was due to say Mass at 9 a.m. He had been out shortly before wtih Holy Communion to the sick. He died on 12th July 1975 and is buried at Romiley.
SYB 1977 p115; Ushaw Diary; Information supplied by Canon E.M. Abbott.